Neuralink Update: 10 Things to Know as Elon Musk Preps for Human Trials
Neuralink is in the news after founder Elon Musk gave an update on the company’s brain chip in a three-hour presentation.
Neuralink is working to create computer chips that can be placed inside of people. There are various reasons the company seeks to do this. Among its goals are to bring blind people sight, restore motor functions in the disabled and allow users to interact with technology with a thought.
Let’s go over some of the most interesting details from the Neuralink update below!
Neuralink Update Details
- First off, Musk noted that Neuralink has been successful so far with its tests on monkeys.
- Footage of two monkeys implanted with Neuralink chips showed them using their brains to move a cursor and make selections.
- This has Musk claiming that the tech is getting closer to approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for human trials.
- In fact, Musk believes that this could happen in as little as six months, although the company has missed aggressive deadlines in the past.
- That includes even this latest Neuralink update, which was originally set for late October, as well as previously expected approval for human trials this year.
- That’s not to say Neuralink hasn’t had its fair amount of test subjects already, which include sheep, pigs and monkeys.
- Musk also said that development at Neuralink is moving at a brisk speed.
- Although progress in human use is slow, Musk mentioned parallel plans to bring chips to commercial use in scale.
- That should allow the company to rapidly deploy chips, should the FDA ever approve the device.
- This would potentially allow the company to avoid a long manufacturing and development time while dealing with regulators.
Investors interested in more of the latest stock market news will want to keep reading!
InvestorPlace is home to all of the hottest stock market news traders need to know about on Thursday! That includes what has shares of Xpeng (NYSE:XPEV), Snowflake (NYSE:SNOW) and Winc (NYSEMKT:WBEV) stock moving today. You can find out all of that info at the links below!
More Thursday Stock Market News
- Why Is Xpeng (XPEV) Stock Down 6% Today?
- What Is Going on With Snowflake (SNOW) Stock Today?
- Winc (WBEV) Stock Plunges 28% on Bankruptcy Filing
On the date of publication, William White did not hold (either directly or indirectly) any positions in the securities mentioned in this article. The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer, subject to the InvestorPlace.com Publishing Guidelines.
More from InvestorPlace